Undergraduate Advising

The Statistics & Data Science Undergraduate Advising Office is committed to supporting our students. Please contact us if you’re looking for guidance with the following:

  • Major and pre-major questions and course planning
  • Minor questions and course planning
  • Petitions to declare a major or minor
  • Petitions to substitute approved course equivalents for your major/minor in the Department of Statistics & Data Science
  • Petitions to have new/alternate courses reviewed for substitutions
  • Graduation checks
  • Enrollment questions/concerns about Statistics courses
  • Any other questions not answered in our FAQ section

Message Center will remain the primary mode of communication between students and the Statistics & Data Science Undergraduate Advising Office. Please send all major/minor declaration requests, enrollment inquiries and requests, and other general inquiries and requests via Message Center. Your request will be addressed in the order received. The quoted response time is 5-7 business days (not including weekends and holidays), but responses typically take no longer than 2-3 business days. Note that advising is extremely busy during the beginning of the quarter and enrollment periods!

  • If you have a UCLA logon ID/you are a current UCLA student, please submit your inquiry HERE.
  • If you DO NOT have a UCLA logon ID, please submit your inquiry HERE.

We offer drop-in advising on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays in MS 8125C between the hours of 1:30-4:30pm. Please make sure to check in with our front desk to confirm that the Undergraduate Advisor is available. Please note that times may vary due to staff trainings, events, and holidays.

If you would like to schedule an appointment outside of these days/times, please contact our office via Message Center on myUCLA with your availability as well as the purpose for your appointment.

College Academic Counseling Units

  • If your inquiry pertains to issues beyond the Statistics and Data Science Department, such as the following, be sure to consult a College Counselor:
    • Course add/drop petitions
    • Degree Plan Contracts (ECP exemptions, Unit max petitions, Time to Degree)
    • Major and minor exploration across the College
    • Academic probation status
    • Readmission
    • GE and IGETC requirements
    • Diversity, Foreign Language, Quantitative Reasoning, English requirements
  • To reach a College Counseling Unit (College Academic Counseling, AAP Counseling, Honors Counseling), please visit https://caac.ucla.edu.